0 votes
by (340 points)

I'm new at async coding in C#, so I was wondering if there's an AsyncSend example for SecureMail? I've looked here, but I'm not sure how to adapt those code examples to the Send method. With the System.Net.Mail library, I listened for a SendCompleted event with an anonymous handler:

object userState = myMail;
  smtp.SendCompleted += (sender, e) => {

MailMessage email = (MailMessage) e.UserState;
     if (e.Cancelled)...
      {}
     else
      {
       if  (e.Error != null) ...
      }
      else
      {
           //success
       }

}
Applies to: Rebex Secure Mail

1 Answer

0 votes
by (13.0k points)

The most convenient way is to use await keyword from .NET 4.5 or later. See following code:

static void Main(string[] args)
{
    SendMail().Wait();
}
private static async Task SendMail()
{
    var message = new MailMessage();
    message.From = "from@example.com"; 
    message.To = "to@example.com";
    message.Subject = "Async hello";

using (var smtp = new Smtp())
    {
        await smtp.ConnectAsync("smtp.example.com");
        await smtp.SendAsync(message);
    }
}

You can also check source code of WinForm Mail Sender app for other ways how to asynchronously send email.

by (13.0k points)
If you cannot use 'await' keyword and need a sample code for older framework version just let me know.
by (340 points)
Thank you.  I will look at the source of the WinForm Mail Sender app. My task is to write an automated event-attendance reminder app. The main requirements are 1)  send  recipient-specific content  to as many as 100 different recipients, in a batch in the background so the user's GUI is not blocked) and 2) after each email has been sent, grab its recipient and a few other details and note the send date-time  in a database .
by (13.0k points)
Source code for the WinForm  MailSender application is included in the trial installation package. Just download installer from http://www.rebex.net/secure-mail.net/download.aspx and run it. The default target folder for samples is "c:\Users\yourUserName\Documents\Rebex Components 2015 R4.1 - Samples\vs2012-net-4.5\Mail\MailSendWinForm_CS"