+1 vote
by (130 points)

I'm working on Windows CE 6.0, CF 3.5 on a ARM1136JF-STM i.MX35 machine.
Thanks a lot.

related to an answer for: Failed to connect to SFTP
Applies to: Rebex Secure Mail

2 Answers

0 votes
by (58.9k points)
edited by

From our release notes I can see that this has been released as part of release 2012R1 so 2012R1 an all upcoming releases have automatic workaround:

Cryptography: Diffie-Hellman and DSA algorithms fall back to managed ModPow calculation on .NET CF with missing "Enhanced DSA and
Diffie-Hellman" CSPs.

So customers with support contract can download the 2012R1 version after logging in at http://www.rebex.net/protected.

If you want to give it a try for free, just download the latest freel trial of the Rebex SFTP for .NET client library.

0 votes
by
Greetings,

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but the website will not let me post and keeps redirecting me questions that don't match what I want.

I downloaded and installed rebex security looking for diffie-hellman examples. However, I was unable to find any and including the website found none at all. Are there any diffie-hellman code examples for C# and VB.NET? This would be greatly appreciated.

Also, attempted to create a tag for "diffie-hellman", but I don't have the points sense I'm new.

Thank you.
by (70.2k points)
A typical Diffie-Hellman key exchange looks like this:

using Rebex.Security.Cryptography;

// machine A: generate (public) parameters, generate ephemeral keypair for 'Alice', and get her public key
       var alice = new DiffieHellmanCryptoServiceProvider();
       var parameters = alice.ExportParameters(false);
       byte[] publicKeyAlice = alice.GetPublicKey();

// machine B: import (public) parameters, generate ephemeral keypair for 'Bob', and get his public key
       var bob = new DiffieHellmanCryptoServiceProvider();
       bob.ImportParameters(parameters);
       byte[] publicKeyBob = bob.GetPublicKey();

// machine A: compute shared key from Alice's private key and Bob's public key
       byte[] sharedKeyA = alice.GetSharedSecretKey(publicKeyBob);

// machine B: compute shared key from Bob's private key and Alices's public key
       byte[] sharedKeyB = bob.GetSharedSecretKey(publicKeyAlice);

// result of both computations is the same shared key
       Console.WriteLine(BitConverter.ToString(sharedKeyA));
       Console.WriteLine(BitConverter.ToString(sharedKeyB));

For non-Windows platforms, we provide `DiffieHellmanManaged` class, however please note it is very slow compared to the `DiffieHellmanCryptoServiceProvider` class.
by
Thank you Lukas for the reply.

I'm a little new to new to DH, but in looking at the code I'm not seeing how the parameters get's sent to Bob; bob.ImportParameters. Also, in the code it looks like the parameters and  publicKeyAlice get's sent to Bob, but the "parameters" cannot be converted to a string so how would I send it?

Thanks again.
by (144k points)
The “parameters” are an instance of DiffieHellmanParameters, which is a simple structure:

public struct DiffieHellmanParameters
{
        // The generator.
        public byte[] G;

// The prime modulus.
        public byte[] P;

// The private key.
        public byte[] X;

// The public key.
        public byte[] Y;
    }

Both the parameters and keys are byte arrays. You can convert them to strings for transport if needed, and then back to byte arrays on the other side. Using Convert.ToBase64String/Convert.FromBase64String is the most simple choice, writing a hexadecimal string encoder/parser is another possibility.

Just like any instance of .NET’s AsymmetricAlgorithm object, DiffieHellmanCryptoServiceProvider generates a key pair and optionally the parameters unless imported.

Calling alice.ExportParameters(false) generates parameters and key pair and returns an instance of DiffieHellmanParameters with only G (generator), P (prime) and Y set (public key – the same value you get by calling alice.GetPublicKey()).
Calling bob.ImportParameters(parameters) imports P and G. It generates a new key pair (using the same generator and prime) unless both Y and X are present as well.

This is another variant of the sample code that is easier to follow – P and G are generated at the beginning and the rest of the code is the same for Alice and Bob:

// parameters
    byte[] P;
    byte[] G;

// generate P (prime) and G (generator)
    // (alternatively, you could you pre-generated P and G)
    using (var tmp = new DiffieHellmanCryptoServiceProvider())
    {
        var parameters = tmp.ExportParameters(false);
        P = parameters.P;
        G = parameters.G;
    }

// machine A: import parameters, generate ephemeral keypair for 'Alice', and get her public key
    var inputParamsAlice= new DiffieHellmanParameters();
    inputParamsAlice.P = P;
    inputParamsAlice.G = G;
    var alice = new DiffieHellmanCryptoServiceProvider();
    alice.ImportParameters(inputParamsAlice);
    byte[] publicKeyAlice = alice.GetPublicKey();

// machine B: import parameters, generate ephemeral keypair for 'Alice', and get her public key
    var inputParamsBob = new DiffieHellmanParameters();
    inputParamsBob.P = P;
    inputParamsBob.G = G;
    var bob = new DiffieHellmanCryptoServiceProvider();
    bob.ImportParameters(inputParamsBob);
    byte[] publicKeyBob = bob.GetPublicKey();

// machine A: compute shared key from Alice's private key and Bob's public key
    byte[] sharedKeyA = alice.GetSharedSecretKey(publicKeyBob);

// machine B: compute shared key from Bob's private key and Alices's public key
    byte[] sharedKeyB = bob.GetSharedSecretKey(publicKeyAlice);

// result of both computations is the same shared key
    Console.WriteLine(BitConverter.ToString(sharedKeyA));
    Console.WriteLine(BitConverter.ToString(sharedKeyB));