0 votes
by (120 points)
edited

I was using the pop component for the last 2 days . I cannot seem to find a way to download a range of messages , the GetMessageList does not have any overloads for this .

I see this is doable in the IMAP .

Is it also possible to delete from the pop component , or mark message as read ?

Applies to: Rebex Secure Mail

1 Answer

+1 vote
by (144k points)
edited

Downloading a range of messages using GetMessageList is not currently possible, but you can easily download the messages in the desired range using GetMessage or GetMailMessage methods.

Check out the tutorial for information about deleting (and undeleting) messages.

POP3 protocol doesn't have a concept of read/unread flags. E-mail agents such as Outlook simulate this by locally maintaining a database of unique IDs of all messages in the mailbox and associated flags. When a message with an unknown unique ID is encountered, it is added into the database and marked as unread. This can easily be done with Rebex POP3 and a database.

by (120 points)
Thanks a lot for the answers . using GetMessage or GetMailMessage methods would require 100 calls to server to get 100 messages , not exactly what i want . I was looking for getting 100 messages in one call instead of the entire inbox . I get your concept on marking as read , its fine . The delete also seems fine .
by (144k points)
Unfortunately, the POP3 protocol itself doesn't have any command to request multiple messages in a single call. Even if we added a method to get 100 messages in one call, it would still require 100 calls to the server. POP3 protocol's RETR command can only download a single message.