0 votes
by (270 points)

When extracting attachments from an email, what would be the best/easiest way to determine if the attachment is an actual attachment and not an embeded image? I'm dealing with emails where I can see that there's an embded logo used within the email, but it's also showing up in the list of Message.Attachments.

One difference that I saw was the embeded image has a ContentId.Id that was empty.

Applies to: Rebex Secure Mail

1 Answer

0 votes
by (144k points)
selected by

Best answer

Are you using an up-to-date version of Rebex Secure Mail?

If there is an embedded image in Attachments collection instead of LinkedResources, then something is wrong either in the mail message itself, or in our parser. In both cases, we would have to review the MIME structure and headers to be able to tell what went wrong.

by (270 points)
I did test with the latest version and the same issue occurred. I dug a bit deeper into the email and it does look like an issue with email. The html of the embedded image is referencing a content id, but the attached image doesn't have a content id.

I zoomed to where the image should be displayed and I can see it reporting the error that the linked image cannot be displayed. The file may have been moved, renamed, or deleted.

I've reported the issue to the sender.

Thank you,
Adrian
by (144k points)
Thanks for letting us know!