0 votes
by (160 points)

I'm working on a .NET Framework 4.6 solution with several projects, some of which making use of Secure Mail v2 for simple automated IMAP sending and checking tasks. We're thinking of upgrading to the latest version of Secure Email, which I believe is version 6, in part so we can use TLS 1.2.

However, we're curious about how much refactoring might be expected. Of course, I understand this can't be answered in detail without knowing the code base. However, generally speaking, would such a big version upgrade be expected to require a significant code rewrite, or might it largely work as-is?

Thank you.

Applies to: Rebex Secure Mail

1 Answer

+1 vote
by (144k points)
selected by

Best answer

In general, only very little refactoring is needed even when upgrading even from very old version of Rebex Secure Mail. How old is the version you currently use?

by (160 points)
Thank you, Lukas. That's promising. We have version 2.0.5298 of the Rebex.Common, .Imap, .Mail, .Networking, and .Smtp packages installed. Let me know if that's not the info you were looking for, though.
by (144k points)
In that case, unless your current code produces any warnings about deprecated functionality, it is very likely no changes at all would be needed when upgrading to the latest version, 6.0.8000. (If you do get any warnings now, please resolve those before upgrading.)
by (160 points)
Great. Thanks much, Lukas. Your help is very much appreciated.