0 votes
by (120 points)
edited

I'm using the FTP library and one the servers that my client is using has the SYST command disabled for security purposes. When attempting to connect to the server, it errs out with:

'SYST': command not allowed (500)

Is it possible to bypass this? Is it absolutely necessary that this call be made? I assumed it is necessary as it detects the OS.

• Bobby
Applies to: Rebex FTP/SSL

1 Answer

0 votes
by (144k points)
edited

SYST command is only used when connecting to some FTP servers as part of server brand detection. It is not currently possible to bypass this, and although it is not absolutely necessary for this call to be made, it was never reported to cause any issues because even if the FTP server rejects the command, our code should simply ignore that and continue without any problems. In short - it should not err out. If it does, something is wrong somewhere. Does your client's FTP server close the connection when it receives the SYST command or something like that?

Anyway, we can easily add an option to disable this altogether. This should solve the problem regardless its cause. I will send you a link to a current build with this option soon.

UPDATE

The fix was published as a part of Release 2012 R1. DoNotDetectFeatures option now turns off server feature detection completely, not only the one using the FEAT command.

by (144k points)
I just sent you a link to the current build. Please give it a try and let us know whether it solves the problem.