0 votes
by (140 points)

Hello Rebex Forum,

Using Visual Studio 2019 Community edition.

Reviewing the Rebex Terminal Client WinForm CS 'sample project' v4.6 Framework.

I've created Visual Studio 2019 Windows Form App (.Net Framework) 'new project' template with .NET Framework v4.6.

Successfully added NuGet Rebex Total Pack to the project.

The 'sample project' does not have Form1.Designer.cs file (or MainForm.Designer.cs) whereas the 'new project' does have this, so for the my review comparison and learning how-to build from scratch.

I do have and included the new project references to the Rebex Total Pack components.

Question 1: How do I add the Rebex Total Pack to the Toolbox components (left side) so that I can add Rebex components to the WinForm?

Question 2: Is there option to add new WinForm without including the xxxxx.Designer.cs file?

Question 3: Which VS2019 project template is preferable for using Rebex Total Pack; 1.) Windows Forms App (.NET Framework) or 2.) Windows Forms (WinForms) Application?

Thank you,
Bob512

Applies to: Total Pack

1 Answer

0 votes
by (144k points)

In Visual Studio 2019, "Windows Forms App" template is intended for WinForms applications using .NET 5.0 (or .NET Core 3.1), while "Windows Forms App (.NET Framework)" is for WinForms applications using .NET Framework 4.8 (or 2.0/3.5/4.0-4.6). .NET Framework 4.8 is the last version of .NET Framework (apart from security fixes it won't see any furher development and updates).

1) Right-click somewhere in the Toolbox window, select 'Add Tab', and provide a name. In File Explorer, browse to "c:\Program Files (x86)\Rebex Components R6.5\bin\net-4.6" (assuming a .NET Framework 4.6 project and default Rebex install location), and drag&drop the 'Rebex.Terminal.Control.dll' file to the newly created tab. This will populate the tab with a single TerminalControl (the only Rebex WinForms control).

2) We are not aware of such option. Sorry for the confusion caused by the lack of xxxx.Designer.cs files in our sample projecs - these were originally .NET Framework 1.0 projects created in Visual Studio 2003, which did not use .Designer.cs files yet.

3) That depends. If the application is going to use lot of existing code or libraries written for .NET Framework 4.8 or earlier, then "Windows Forms App (.NET Framework)" might be the best choice for now. If it's a new application developed basically from scratch, then "Windows Forms App" for .NET 6.0 would be a better option. However, in that case, consider upgrading to Visual Studio 2022, because Visual Studio 2019 did not support .NET 6.0 yet (or use .NET 5.0 for now).