0 votes
by (140 points)

When I connect to ftp server I am getting the following exception.

PASV: unable to listen; try again later (500).
at Rebex.Net.Ftp.1SAJuN(Int32 , Boolean )
at Rebex.Net.Ftp.VqmpQ()
at Rebex.Net.Ftp.2aYAeNZ(String , Boolean , OTxlj , Int64 , String , String , Int64 , FtpTransferState )
at Rebex.Net.Ftp.y7ABW(String , String , Stream , Int64 , Int64 , 27NpLhZ )
at Rebex.Net.Ftp.PutFile(Stream sourceStream, String remotePath)

May I get the exception codes which can be retried?
For example, The login incorrect (530) need not be retried as this will fail for all retries.
But few other communication exceptions can be retried in some interval so that the job is done successfully.
Please let me know the exceptions that are worth to retry. Or route me through the exact forum link for this.

Applies to: Rebex FTP/SSL

1 Answer

0 votes
by (144k points)

The error codes (and error messages) come from the server and can be retrieved from an instance of FtpException when it's Status is ProtocolError:

try
{
    ftp.GetFile(remotePath, localPath);
}
catch (FtpException error)
{
    if (error.Status == FtpExceptionStatus.ProtocolError)
    {
        int errorCode = error.Response.Code;
        // ...
    }

throw;
}

Exception codes that indicate the action can be retried should always start with '4', which means this particular FTP server got it wrong. '5' indicates that the action should not be retried...

The exception codes are a subset of FTP reply codes, which are defined by RFC 959. Reply codes are always a three-digit number and error codes always begin with '4' of '5'. However, although the RFC lists some mandatory error codes FTP servers should use for common errors, in practice they often define and use their own error codes. Still, they should at least follow the rules set by the RFC:

4yz   Transient Negative Completion reply

The command was not accepted and the requested action did
not take place, but the error condition is temporary and
the action may be requested again.  The user should
return to the beginning of the command sequence, if any.
It is difficult to assign a meaning to "transient",
particularly when two distinct sites (Server- and
User-processes) have to agree on the interpretation.
Each reply in the 4yz category might have a slightly
different time value, but the intent is that the
user-process is encouraged to try again.  A rule of thumb
in determining if a reply fits into the 4yz or the 5yz
(Permanent Negative) category is that replies are 4yz if
the commands can be repeated without any change in
command form or in properties of the User or Server
(e.g., the command is spelled the same with the same
arguments used; the user does not change his file access
or user name; the server does not put up a new
implementation.)

5yz   Permanent Negative Completion reply

The command was not accepted and the requested action did
not take place.  The User-process is discouraged from
repeating the exact request (in the same sequence).  Even
some "permanent" error conditions can be corrected, so
the human user may want to direct his User-process to
reinitiate the command sequence by direct action at some
point in the future (e.g., after the spelling has been
changed, or the user has altered his directory status.)

The second digit represents function groupings:

x0z Syntax - These replies refer to syntax errors,
    syntactically correct commands that don't fit any
    functional category, unimplemented or superfluous
    commands.

x1z Information -  These are replies to requests for
    information, such as status or help.

x2z Connections - Replies referring to the control and
    data connections.

x3z Authentication and accounting - Replies for the login
    process and accounting procedures.

x4z Unspecified as yet.

x5z File system - These replies indicate the status of the
    Server file system vis-a-vis the requested transfer or
    other file system action.

The third digit gives a finer gradation of meaning in each of the categories.

Unfortunately, the error code you got from the FTP server ("500 PASV: unable to listen; try again later") illustrates that the rules are often ignored in practice. A grouping code 5yz should represent a "Permanent Negative Completion", but the error message clearly contradicts this by encouraging the client to try again. Which is actually a "Transient Negative Completion" and 4yz codes must be used for those.

The function grouping is wrong as well. x0z codes should "refer to syntax errors, syntactically correct commands that don't fit any functional category, unimplemented or superfluous commands", which is obviously not the case here. An x2z reply code would be more appropriate.

In fact, many FTP servers actually use an error code of 425 in this situation.

by (140 points)
Hi Thanks for your reply.

So does that mean the FTP server is returning a wrong error code in this scenario or the message is wrong?

As per my understanding, all FTP servers will return the same error codes on the respective scenario. Am I right? If so is it advisable to retry on this error.

Also I am not sure what error code would be returned on this error as I am not able to reproduce it in my local. Is there any error code "500" or 500 is just a series and the codes starts from 501 to 5yz.

And is it worthy to retry only the exceptions with status of Protocol errors and not just all the ftp exceptions?
by (144k points)
Either the error code or the message is wrong. If the error condition is permanent (which does not necessarily mean it can't be corrected - see the exact wording in the RFC), then the message is wrong and the first digit of the error code is correct (the second digit would still be wrong). If the error condition is temporary, then the first digit of the error code is wrong as well (in addition to the second digit), but the message is correct.
by (144k points)
The RFC sais that all servers must strictly return the same error code for common situations described at https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc959#page-39, but in practice they unfortunately often don't - as seen in this particular example.

Error code "500" is on the list of "error codes for common situations" and it means "500 Syntax error, command unrecognized". Using it for failed PASV commands is definitely wrong. Unfortunately, similar issues are very common, which means that in practice, using the first digit to decide whether to attempt a retry or not is unreliable.
by (144k points)
And yes - it's not worthy to retry an operation if the exception does not have a status of `ProtocolError`.