+1 vote
by (220 points)
edited

We have a legacy embedded system using windows ce 4.2 and sftp Version 1.5.2896. About once a week on average every site (about 100 sites) locks up in the ftp session, generally causing the watchdog to restart the box. This is obviously not the preferred behaviour ;) Our diagnostics show it might be deleting a file form the server, or listing the server directory contents, or looking at a file time. Would an update to 2008-07-24 Version 1.5.3127 make any difference ? What would a support contract give us that might help turn the lockup into an exception that can be handled ? Fingers crossed for a useful reponse :)

Our original contract is: Rebex SFTP for .NET/.NET CF + source code - 5 developers (Order U21653576 from 2007-03-20)

1 Answer

0 votes
by (1.7k points)
edited

Best answer

Hello Phil

We are not sure, if the upgrade on 2008-07-24 Version would help you in this case. But we believe that this bug should be already fixed in the more recent versions for there was quite a lot of updates since you have bought our component five years ago. You can see the release history here: http://www.rebex.net/sftp.net/history.aspx

Our suggestion therefore is, whether you could try to update to current version of Rebex SFTP for.NET/.NET CF . In case this your problem would persist, we will refund you this order. Please let me know, and in case this solution suits you, I will send you a renewing link to your e-mail.

Best Regards

Frantisek Bosek www.rebex.net support@rebex.net

by (220 points)
edited

Thanks for responding so quickly. Unfortunately we cant update the compact framework from v1.1 - its inextricably linked to the ce os and the vs2003 development environment. So unless you have a neat trick to get cf2 running with VS2003 we're stuck there. Any other ideas will be considered !

by (144k points)
edited

We have not realized you are still on .NET CF 1.0 - that might really complicate things a lot! The last version of Rebex SFTP to support .NET CF 1.0 was 2.0.3723.0, released in March 2010 (1.5.3127 was released in July 2008). This might solve the issue, but it's by no means certain.

If that doesn't help, the next possible solution would be a backport of the current version of the SSH library (most likely responsible for the issue) to .NET CF 1.0, which is not a trivial task, but almost certainly can be done in a day or two.

by (144k points)
edited

You can download Rebex SFTP v2.0.3723.0 trial (.NET CF version) from the following URL: http://www.rebex.net/getfile/683b935d3b06462082dd148a297a73cf/RebexSftpCf-Trial-2.0.3723.0-DotNetCF1.0.exe

by (220 points)
edited

Aha ! Thanks Lucas, the cf1 support by 2.0.3723 doesnt show up in the release notes. I'll try the trial out on a dev system asap :) What are our options for getting a formal release ?

by (144k points)
edited

Renewing your support contract would enable access to past releases including 2.0.3723. Of course, you are welcome to first make sure it works before upgrading!

by (220 points)
edited

Unfortunately, testing this has not gone well: 1. It required a bit more work than expected ! We had the option to use ftp in the product, which I've had to pull out as the ftp component wasnt in the fileset. 2. The first call to Sftp.BeginPutFile is failing with a NullReference Exception. This is long-standing production code, so is there some change in use since build 2896 - eg something that now has to be explicitly initialised ?

by (220 points)
edited

For instance - the state parameter in BeginPutFile - does that have to be used now - in the (only) example it is set to 'true' ? (I've tried passing in a new object and 'true' and it makes no difference. Your online help is exceedingly terse.

by (144k points)
edited

It looks like the CF1 build of Rebex SFTP 2.0.3723.0 was somewhat broken. Sorry! I just sent you an e-mail with explanation and further instructions (with a subject of "Rebex SFTP: Version 1.5.2896 locking up").

by (220 points)
edited

Amazing work Lukas, many thanks. I'm very impressed that you did this. I have built, test run and deployed onto a test site. How much 'trial time' do I have for this ?