Open FTPS and SFTP servers for Testing our code and connectivity

0 votes
asked Apr 15, 2011 by Gowtham (240 points)
retagged Jun 17, 2015 by Tomas Knopp

Hi, I am done with writing the code for connecting, downloading and uploading files to the FTP,FTPS and SFTP servers.I have a FTP server for testing the FTP code. But i don't have FTPS and SFTP servers. Can any one suggest me FTPS and SFTP open or free servers for testing my code? I found this site for FTPS "ftp.secureftp-test.com ", but it supports only downloading files. I need to test uploading also.

Applies to: Rebex FTP/SSL, Rebex SFTP

3 Answers

0 votes
answered Nov 14, 2013 by Jan Sotola (16,540 points)
selected Apr 21, 2015 by Tomas Knopp

Best answer

We've recently launched a new testing server test.rebex.net. It supports both FTP/SSL and SFTP protocols, but still in read only mode (for the reasons Lukas mentions above).

0 votes
answered Apr 15, 2011 by Lukas Pokorny (78,250 points)
edited Dec 4, 2013

Update

We've recently launched a new testing server test.rebex.net. It
supports both FTP/SSL and SFTP protocols, but still in read only mode
(for the reasons Lukas mentions above).

We run an open FTP/FTPS server <ftp.rebex.net (username: "anonymous", password: "guest"), but it only supports downloading as well at the moment (we don't have any SFTP server, unfortunately).

To support upload as well, we would have to add some barriers against people misusing the server for their own purposes, which is more complicated than it sounds.

So if you need a test server, my recommendation would be to install FileZilla Server for FTP and FTPS. It's free and good enough. For SFTP, the situation is more complicated. Windows ports of OpenSSH (supports SFTP) are free, but hard to maintain and often outdated. Bitvise WinSSHD is free, but only for non-commercial use. Another alternative is SFTP Server Lite, an experimental .NET SFTP server library - it's extremely simple to use, but it's not a stand-alone SFTP server.

commented Apr 19, 2011 by Gowtham (240 points)
edited Dec 4, 2013

Hi Lukas.I went through the SFTP Server Lite code. We can add Usernames and passwords, but how to mention the root directory in that?

commented Apr 19, 2011 by Lukas Pokorny (78,250 points)
edited Apr 19, 2011

The root directory for each virtual user is specified by the third argument of SshUser constructor. However, this is not a Rebex product - if you have any questions, feel free to ask at sftp@nuane.com

0 votes
answered Oct 14, 2015 by Martin Vobr (12,800 points)

You can find a list of public SFTP servers with free access on SFTP.net website. All of them are read-only.

For read-write access using your own SFTP server would be needed. SFTP.net includes also list of SFTP servers (mostly) for Windows.

But don't be afraid. Two of listed servers are quite minimalistic - Rebex Tiny SFTP server requires no installation at all. Just unpack the ZIP, run the application and push the start button. You can even download server C# source code if you want to modify it for your testing.

Core Free Mini SFTP server setup is also pretty easy. For Core Free Mini server download scroll down to the middle of page. On the top there are downloads for their full-featured server.